Australia officially the Commonwealth of Australia, is a sovereign country comprising the mainland of the Australian continent, the island of Tasmania and numerous smaller islands. It is the largest country in Oceania and the world’s sixth-largest country by total area. The neighbouring countries are Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and East Timor to the north; the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu to the north-east; and New Zealand to the south-east. Australia’s capital is Canberra, and its largest urban area is Sydney. Australian is a wealthy country with developed economy. Australia is home of very interesting and unique species e.g. Kangaroo, Koala, Wombat, Emu, Kookaburra, other beautiful birds and great natural sea life e.g. The Great Barrier Reef which is one of the seven wonders of the natural world is in Queensland, Australia.
Australia comprises six states and two territories:
- New South Wales (NSW) capital city Sydney
- Victoria (VIC) capital city Melbourne
- Queensland (QLD) capital city Brisbane
- Western Australia (WA) capital city Perth
- South Australia (SA) capital city Adelaide
- Tasmania (TAS) capital city Hobart
- Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Canberra the Capital of Australia
- Northern Territory (NT) capital city Darwin
Australia has a one of the best and affordable, accessible, and comprehensive healthcare system in the world. The commonwealth Department of Health and Aging promotes good health and ensures all Australians have access to key health and family services including:
- aged and community care services
- family and children’s services
- disability programmes
- public health initiatives
- medicare and pharmaceutical benefits
- hospital and healthcare funding
- health services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- emergency services for people in crisis
Australia has one of the best education systems in the world. Children aged 5 until 16 are compulsory to attend the school.
Australia has an adult literacy rate that was estimated to be 99%. Australia is one of the most favorite study destinations in the world for international students.
Australia has 37 government-funded universities and two private universities, as well as a number of other specialist institutions that provide approved courses at the higher education level. There is a state-based system of vocational training, known as TAFE, and many trades conduct apprenticeships for training new trades people.
Australia’s climate varies greatly throughout the eight states and territories; there are four seasons across most of the country and a wet and dry season in the tropical north.
Australia’s seasons are at opposite times to those in the northern hemisphere. December to February is summer; March to May is autumn; June to August is winter; and September to November is spring.
Australia is multicultural and multiracial, and this is reflected in the country’s food, lifestyle and cultural practices and experience. Australia is a society of people from a rich diversity of cultural, ethnic, linguistic and religious backgrounds.